Tuesday, June 24, 2008

aka UNPRETTY


Nothing is sadder than a misled duck who actually expects to become a swan someday. The truth is a lot of us are actually born as ugly ducklings, and that’s it. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can start saving up for plastic surgery.

Hahaha.

Seriously, the world would be a sad, sad place to be if it was all just about looks. And yet, a lot of people measure each other’s worth (and their own) based on how easy they go on the eyes. And if they were born with not-so-good looks the faint glimmer of hope in their horizons lie on plastic surgery and uber expensive make-up. How could we call ourselves animals of higher intellect and yet thrive on such shallowness?

Personally, I was insecure enough to wish I was prettier, fairer, more endowed… blah, blah, blah. But never did I allow it to drive me to the point of distraction. There’s just a lot more to life than physical beauty. Period.

Now, before I get all self-righteous and annoying, let me explain why I have chosen to rant on this particular topic today.

Okay, let me backtrack on what I just said: The truth is that it is driving me to distraction. Because when before it didn’t seem to matter as much, now it’s what everything is ALL about. I look around and see people primping themselves like goddamn peacocks, showing off fake colored feathers for everyone to go “ooh” and “aah” over. It’s driving me nuts!

I heard somewhere that you should never look at beauty magazines, it’ll only make you feel ugly. Truer words have never been spoken. That’s what’s up my ass actually. Up until now, I’ve never felt ugly. But suddenly I have huge pores, I have the skin of a thirty-year old and a wig has more life than my hair. These may be true, but it didn’t use to matter!

So I’m not a friggin’ made-up Barbie with pink pouty lips and porcelain skin. So? How come the world we live in today makes me feel bad about that? So then we go to YouTube and watch those stupid videos of Hollywood stars looking disheveled and (dare I say it?) ugly without make-up and laugh our asses off because look, they’re ugly too!

So what?

Why do we need to rationalize our looks with pictures of movie stars without make-up? At least it’s their job to look good, who made it everyone else’s too? Oh I know, blame on the media, on those stupid advertising agencies that market lies, on those cursed beauty magazines that profess that the standard of beauty is those mannequin stick-like figures we call models, with their bleached teeth and 5-inch lashes. Well, I definitely agree that they are the root of all these evil. But then, where does that leave us? Where would that leave me? Nowhere. Just back to my PC, still bitchin’.

At the end of the day, we gotta eat a piece of the blame pie too. We know it only matters because we let it matter. I’m only ugly because some stupid magazine said so, and I let myself believe it. (Sorry for those whose been expecting some brilliant epiphany at this point, hehe.) So now, I look at myself at the mirror and for the first time, start wishin’ I looked like someone else…

But I’m holding myself from completely believing that. Right after I condemn yet another clump of whiteheads, I say, “Fuck it, I look pretty. I’m not Barbie but I’m not ugly either.” Besides, I’m freaking oozing with inner beauty here.

Hehehe.

Seriously, if you’re suffering from the same dysfunction, straighten yourself up, stop buying beauty mags and stay away from shampoo commercials. Look yourself at the mirror, smile and flush all ugly thoughts away. (Watch out the cheesy part’s comin…) However you look, it’s doesn’t matter. What matters is what’s inside you. (Holy friggin crap, I really said it, ack!)

If that doesn’t work, just think that you can’t be uglier than Pamela Anderson without make-up and take comfort in that. Hehehe – kidding! Really, those TLC gals got it right, we are the only ones in the position to make ourselves feel damn unpretty.

And I for one, sure ain’t unpretty. MAC or no MAC.

1 comment:

earnesthope said...

reminds me of Radioactive Sago Project's album title. "Putang Ina Mo! Ang Daming Nagugutom sa Mundo Fashionista Ka Parin!"